8.07.2008

Vacation Pictures & Intro to the "Deepest Little-Big Book"




So playing golf on the lake's "Old Course" is a must - Marcus and I played 5x, Gordon 4, and Laura 2x (Laura and I played near Spokane on the way home). Gordon squints at 8 a.m. - 1st tee. Marcus had several NOT-OB 300 yd drives (This one was a birdie - drove 315 and was on in 2 - par 5). The lake is just over the hill.

Laura got free lessons - She's so much fun to hang out with - We had a grand time!


Laura and I read every summer Thomas Kelly's little book, "A Testament of Devotion". This book was given to me as a gift by one of my favorite professors some 14 years after I graduated. The edition I have is an abridged, with some slight editing of a few words. It's a HarperCollins '92 publication (I've been trying to find another one like this - still can't). I think it's much better than the original (it's rare for me to say that).

Kelly died in 1942 unaware that two or three articles would be put together and go on to influence millions (Richard Foster says it changed his life). Like Watchman Nee and Oswald Chambers, Kelly had no idea that God would use him to set free so many caught up in Religion and Legalism.

I didn't read this 69 page book until some 6 years after it was given to me - I may read it every year until I die. Laura and I read it while on vacation at Flathead lake. We've read it together for the last six years.

Thomas Kelly was a professor who failed his second PhD and then went into deep depression. He visited Hitler's Germany in 1938. He taught Eastern Philosophy while growing a deep friendship with his forever friend and savior Jesus. He wrote of what we call today Quantum Physics. He understood how his Quaker roots led him to go beyond performance and outward obedience. He died of a heart attack at age 47. I'll let the following quotes on my blog (for the next few days) speak for the power of this book. I hope you like it.

No comments: