7.02.2007

Refresh, Recharge, and then Charge!

“Be still and KNOW” that I am God." (Psalm 46:10) Who I think I am is largely determined by who I look to as the most important force in my life. For me, these past thirty-two years it has been my best friend and wife Laura. We’ve ridden two hundred miles on our bicycles in one day (more than once), and climbed Mt. Constitution on our bikes (If you’ve never made it to Orcas Island you’ve got to move it to the top of your list). We did a half-marathon together (she cheered me on for my one and only Marathon); together we’ve explored the world and continue to grow madly in love with each other. Simply put, Laura makes me believe “I’m a real boy!” (The 1st Shrek movie is an amazing study of human endeavors to like and accept oneself.).

But best of all Laura and my father had the most significant impact in my understanding of how much Jesus loves me. Know I really KNOW how valued and loved I am! Why am I sharing this? Portland is a city that needs real people to meet Jesus Freaks who really want to be their friend and allow God’s Spirit to tell them what no human can, “You are so loved by God. He chose you before he even made this world. Come be my friend –Forever!”

If you are in love with “things,” stop! Take the time to spend time with those God has given to you as gifts of love.

Laura
and I fell in love with Pacific City this last week (Our 32nd anniversary); between cycling, walking the beach and discovering some cool art and AMAZING food, we laughed, prayed, and read together –We again sat still and listened to God’s love-whispering. We had so much fun we even stayed an extra day (Thank you so much Ginger for letting us use your house -its view is beyond amazing). Here are a couple pics. from the house we stayed in and one of the rides we took on our bikes.






















Sunday morning, so sunny, so wonderful - Worship and being together at Laurelhurst was wonderful. The excitement of what God is doing in Portland continues to grow. God is so good! Laura and I are so charged up with love for the people of Portland. After everyone had left the Laurelhurst church Laura and I sat in a cool little Thai restaurant (on Alberta) with a friend and talked and prayed for those wonderful, wayward "future kids" of Jesus.

Have you heard God’s refreshing whisper? Don't forget to, “love people and use things; never love things and use people.” Pastor John is so right when he says that riches are not the problem, it’s our love of “things” that keeps us from loving others. Listen to God as he says, “I love you . . . keep at it . . . good job . . . you are a faithful friend, you are serving well!”

It's almost the fourth of July, let the freedom of Jesus’ love refresh, recharge and then send you charging out with God’s love for Portland .

No comments: