10.08.2008

Beautiful Golf, Amazing Pics, & Brotherhood of the Traveling Shorts


Yes, I will tell my "Traveling Shorts" story of preaching in NOTHING but my shorts to 1,200 people in India - "True Story". And no, it's not a dream or some "play on words", it really did happen . . . BUT first:

Last call to play golf this Sat. (Oct. 11). Our tee time is 10:30 -11am. I've only got 3-4 spots left open. We will play at Beacon Rock Golf Course (east of Vancouver WA on Hwy 14). It's a 30 min. drive from Vancouver and so beautiful this time of year. The course is small - some narrow fairways - very beautiful shots of Beacon Rock. (Have you ever climbed it? Very cool!) Let me know soon if you want to go! I hope there's a spot open for you.

Catch this: Our granddaughter, Elena Renee Avery, at 4 months of age - Wow (I hope to open a YouTube account and post the video clip I showed last week at Living Hope in Portland)!




Traveling Pants story: I was scheduled to preach for the first time ever on a cell phone to a group of people in India. Dr. Kumar had contacted me through our ONLY GOD network and spoke with me by phone last Thursday night. He had instructed me to be ready to preach at 8:30 a.m. our time. He said that they would all be ready when he called so I was to pray as soon as he said, "You pray Pastor Bruce". Then I was to preach my heart out (easy)! I had been up for 2.5 hrs. Friday morning when my cell phone rang, but . . . it was 8 a.m., not 8:30. I was still in my robe. I heard Dr. Kumar say, "Now you pray for us Pastor Bruce. We ready." I wasn't! I didn't have my Bible or notes and I was still in my robe. I multi-task well. I prayed, gathered notes and my faithful Bible and moved to our formal living room (the best reception). I had a few moments between each sentence as I was being translated into their Hindi (or maybe something else?). I had finished my prayer and was into my opening story when I lost our signal - the phone connection died! I had planned to be sitting in my car, up at QFC and next to Blockbuster Video (I had checked it out the day before). That's where the "Preaching in my Shorts" comes in . . . (oh no - I have another appointment coming up soon - must go . . . I promise (I hope) to continue this story tomorrow . . . (I'm speaking 7 times this week . . . very excited about it).

No comments: