3.27.2010

On the Mt. with my Sweetheart, meeting Richard the Great





So today was one of the most glorious days on Mt. Hood you could possibly experiences - WOW, wow, double wow! In this retelling of one fabulous day, I'll share with you the story of Richard the Great (Our first time to meet), our adventures on a new trail, and the very fun coffee shop (with cool hand-made earrings for $7.98).

We first met Richard in the snow park lot - he was parked next us. I commented on his ski boots and he told me he was learning to Skate.
Laura and I were trying out the Tea Cup Nordic trails for the first time. It's a great place; so well groomed and a nice Lunch cabin. The view of Mt. Hood and variety of trails make this a great place to cross country ski.

We were about half way around our 1.5 hr. loop when we caught up with Richard. He was skating uphill, working hard (Skater's skis are shorter and smooth bottomed: stiffer boots are the final part that make this type of Nordic skiing different than Classical Nordic). Nordic skating is much faster, more demanding physically, and lots of fun. We visited with Richard for a few minutes and then pressed on ahead. Richard told me he had started Cross Country skiing when he turned 54. How fun it was to meet this guy who at age 71 was learning the demanding sport of Nordic Skating.

As we were parting ways, I asked the man, I call Richard the Great, what his name was; his reply, "Dick." I'm sure his Birth Certificate must say his name is Richard. No one who is so full of adventure, energy, and
strength should be called Dick.

After our 1.5 hour warm-up Laura and I again took on the White River Trail on our snowshoes. This time we left the river and followed a ridge that was simply a great workout. Coming back down the trail Laura simply kicked my butt. It was a warm, sun drenched workout with Mt. Hood staring down at us the entire time. We had so much fun!

We left the Mt. and stopped in the little Hwy 26 pit-stop of Welches Oregon. This time we were trying to find a small eclectic coffee shop we had heard about. After a couple "not the right place" we found it! They not only serve Stump Town Coffee
but they make a wonderful latte! If you bring your own cup they give you a 50 cent discount (they clean and pre-heat your cup too). Laura bought a chocolate cookie that was about 3/4" thick, and baked to perfection (How do you do that with a cookie that thick?). It was full of the perfect f Chip to Cookie ratio. This little Jewel of a hangout also makes breakfast and lunch items that look wonderful. It's a very fun place (free internet, a yarn shop connected, and creative hand made earrings). Check it out - Cafe Aria

I found Laura the perfect pair (and $7.98)! On the trail, and again on the way home we had an invigorating discussion about; "Who in the Old Testament are the three people you admire most?" I started by choosing Abraham then switched to Moses after Laura's persuasive arguments. I almost chose Esther, but a tie between to other people still has me struggling (I'm still trying to decide . . . maybe I blog on it later).

We arrive home just in time to shower and make it to the 5 p.m. service at Living Hope. Pastor John and I have been very much taken up by 3-D forgiveness idea, but tonight John took it to another level by introducing 4-D forgiveness (It was a fantastic talk).

So after a phone visit with my old cycling buddy from Seattle, I'm ready for bed. What a wonderful day. I'm praying I will be on new adventures and great physical challenges when I'm 71, just like my new inspiration, Richard (Dick) the Great!

No comments: