7.08.2008

Vital Friends - The Shack, day # 1


So, hopefully I've cooled my jets and can talk about "The Shack" without sounding self-righteous and condescending towards those who are so "narrow" and "closed-minded" and "totally ignorant" about what really matters (sound OK?)!

Here's what I think is wrong with "religion" in America - I believe we are far more devoted to a "cause" than we are a "person." Knowing religious facts, possessing missiles of destruction wrapped in the "King Jimmy" holy language of "TRUTH" can make one feel so safe, so right, and so able to depend on oneself. I'm like Nick in John's gospel (John 3) - I start arguing "left-brain" details about doctrine when I feel the uncomfortable call to trust the Wind ("You can't tell where it began or where it will end!").

You can't expect me to talk about friendship without quoting my favorite author, OC, right?

"There is a difference between devotion to a Person and devotion to principles or to a cause. Our Lord never proclaimed a cause— He proclaimed personal devotion to Himself. To be a disciple is to be a devoted love-slave of the Lord Jesus. Many of us who call ourselves Christians are not devoted to Jesus Christ."

In the next few days I'll examine some of "questions" raised by those who write "with great passion" against the author of "The Shack". I find it interesting that several of these "well-known" writers have no problem with C.S. Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia or the classic Pilgrim's Progress. I can understand someone finding fault with the "Left Behind" series which attempts to promote "just one" doctrinal position regarding the End Times (I don't like the fear-based emphasis in this popular series). I could even get someone questioning a series like Frank Peretti's "Present Darkness", but why "The Shack"? (I think maybe I know - this is a guess at best as none of us can get inside another person's motives - more on a later blog.)

"The Shack" is now #1 on the NY Times best seller list (paperback fiction). It's pretty amazing considering the lack of a major publisher. A local Portland guy writes and prints at Kinko's a few copies for his kids, family, and friends. Paul Young never planned to publish a book for millions to read (over 1,000,000 in print as of now)! But the book has touched off a fire. I've personally seen it's affects on those burned by religion, those who are currently stuck in our county jails and by many friends who don't read much! I started reading this book before it became such a huge bestseller (I was very skeptical because it was praised so highly). I actually heard of the book about a year ago from a very dear friend in Idaho, but because he rarely reads, and I'm not so impressed with his reading choices, I blew it off. To date Laura and I have bought 36 copies of the book. I really don't think this book will go away anytime soon.

Why the big hoopla about this book? It's a picture of "Friendship." A picture so appealing, so attractive, that you want to believe it's true. IN FACT I DO! I really believe we are only Human when we are IN friendship (I just spoke at Living Hope this weekend - check out the story of John and Bob at our Living Hope Resource Center - ask for my DVD from last weekend).

Vital friendships are what we are described as BEING (Genesis 1). Tomorrow I'll elaborate more on two of the most important elements of growing a fantastic, authentic friendship. They are 1 - Proximity, and 2 - Being Invested. Laura and I have been working these out for 33+ years now and I really think you will see how simple, hard, and good they are . . . tomorrow!

No comments: