2.25.2010

How to give more: thoughts I hope to share with our friends tonight

For more on this story about this eight year old boy (pic. right) - go to www.lhceast.com

This last weekend our family looked at the subject of “money” once again (at church). I’m thinking that with so many organizations talking about giving, Laura and I should talk about money even more. Why?

1. Knowing where you stand and why is a good thing: Our values and motives can change colors throughout each chapter of our life. Re-evaluating brings clarity in how and who we spend our resources (money, time, and thoughts).

2. Having your eyes opened-wide, very wide, to the subtle “fear based” appeals we meet on the "Short track" of life can help us better decide which investment is best for you.

Note: These two points are really abstract so you may want to hand copy them on a card and read them several times each day for ONE week. Keep asking yourself, "If I could reinvest all my resources from 'Last week' how would I do it over (time spent shopping for that "specialty item," that "Almost $3 Haagn Daz Dark Chocolate, ice cream bar," or that person you could have invested in but didn't)?

The following are some questions, a few passages from the Bible, and “who knows what else” that Laura and I hope to use for the small group of friends we hang out with every Thursday evening. I can’t wait for tonight! :)

Have you ever fall for a “get-rich-quick” investment opportunity? It might have been as simple as one of those opportunities to save $5 or $10 bucks - like getting a “non-family” member into the zoo for free. However big or small, it’s likely we’ve settled for a “microwave-now savings” more than once these past few months. Think back to one of those "I'm saving" opportunities and ask yourself, "Was it worth it?" Have you reflected on the long-term cost?

Digging deeper – Mark 10:17ff is a key story of a “Rich, Young person” who is serious about getting advice from Jesus. It’s a great story (Click here for more).

What would be worse than losing all your financial resources? Make a list of 10 things you feel you “couldn’t do without.”

Our motivation for giving is often tied to a feeling of obligation. Perhaps it that someone did something for us (maybe we didn’t deserve it). Maybe someone has made such a significant contribution to society that we feel like “freebee-user-loser-types” if we don’t join the cause. Gratitude can easily elicit a “What should I do?” response. I hate it, but I suffer with this all the time (my sister is even worse :). Zac, the little Dubai-rich guy who climbed a tree to see Jesus, was so thankful to be accepted by Jesus that his spontaneous question was “What more can I do? Have I done enough?” Jesus answer is shocking for those of us trying so hard to show our appreciation. A similar response came from those who heard about Jesus in Acts 2:37. Thousands cried out in one voice out, "What should we do?"

Here’s a common problem; like Zac (Link to Story), we can easily feel like we “must” do something. Then we can get “sideways” in our thinking and began “performing” in order to be loved and accepted. In the religious world it’s simply called “works.” Here are some “I’ll deserve this if it kills me” antibiotics –Romans 4:4-5; Ephesians 1:4-5; 2:1-10, and Romans 6:23.

If your still hungry try doing 10 sets of these two verses (do 3 reps, very slowly for each set -LINK). Have an invigorating workout!

Finally my friend (Are you tired of reading yet? Be honest :), my friend Pastor John said to me last week, “Sacrifice is the way to blessing.” Do you believe this? It could sound a bit religious. Especially if your Guilt-bank is full. I believe it's true. What might be the perimeters that make this a true or harmful statement? Again, do you personally believe this, how has this belief or disbelief, added to your life this week? Try reading one of my favorite “relationship tips,” Proverbs 11:24-25 (LINK).

Who will you invest more in today? Who was the lucky person yesterday?

No comments: