2.20.2010

Valentine's Report Card (We WON Gold!)


So it's over and my sweetheart has decreed, (several times) that this was the "best" Valentines ever - I think she's right! The truth is, in spite of my dedication to preparing for this love-memory, it was a series of Miracles that really made this 26 hour V. date unbelievable! And the Miracle of having such an amazing Father to mentor me for many years.

SO, why am I publishing this (yes, my love language is "words of affirmation" - go ahead, tell me what a great job I did - ha . . .)? My biggest motivation is the possibility of even one more couple pouring into their friendship all of the resources, thoughts, prayers, and creativity humanly possible!

My father was the world's greatest lover and inspired hundreds of people (I think perhaps 1,000's) by the way he loved my mom. I DID NOT choose my parents, so all I can do is continue to be so grateful and then give back as freely as God gave to me. Here the recap report card from our Valentines date! I'm hoping it will make a GIGANTIC difference in your life!

  1. Sat. night Laura got her first two cards (the first one she opened said she would have to wait until Feb. 15 to read what was inside. I had taped it with shop tape to make sure).
  2. Sunday after the wedding (5 p.m.) I did in Canby Or. our first get-away stop was at a Starbucks in Wilsonville. We laughed as we went past the Thai place where we have had dinner with our special friend Ginger (no Thai tonight) - such fun memories.
  3. When I then turned off of I-205 heading East on Hwy 212, Laura asked if we were going to Timberline Lodge for dinner ("I gave her 5 guesses, but she wasn't willing to play that game . . . She knows it's hard for me to keep a surprise. I answered her with a big "No!" It was fun because then she didn't know where we were going).
  4. The moment I turned off of Hwy 26, at Welches, Laura knew we were going the the Resort. But she didn't know that I would park next to "Building 7" and there would be a "stick-um" love note on the door of room 711 signed by me! Opening the door she could see the Champaign and Dark Chocolate-covered strawberries. The room was wonderful - original art work on the walls; a bathroom shower that was to die for; time to relax with the fireplace going and watch a bit of Olympics before going to dinner. We walked to dinner and had such a relaxing Valentines time. I gave her the bracelet and earrings I had bought - they were so perfect; the black dress she wore so make the moonstone rocks and other gems stand out. Then we walked in the mist back to our room (I had successfully got everything we needed for the night, except her hair brush and pants (I got all our ski stuff, work out clothing, and some cute tops - but forgot to grab any jeans . . . who needs pants at Valentines?).
  5. Two more cards, one at dinner (made in Austria) and one anxiously waiting on the bed finished off a great evening. The final card was the "funny one."
  6. Monday morning was a nice miracle - I actually slept in until 8 a.m. and then snuggled and dozed next to my sweetheart until 9:20 a.m. (Even with the sleeping prescription meds. this is an unheard of event . . . I wasn't even nervous)! Laura was amazed, and so happy . We didn't check out until noon. Here are a couple shots of us getting ready for the next part of our adventure (Nothing was staged - right :).
  7. The miracles of how God blessed us with Sunshine, some helpful people at Government Camp, and the rest of our day kicked into high gear. The owners of the Ski shop directed us to the perfect snow-shoeing place to try out our new snow shoes we got at Christmas. The beauty of Mt. Hood crowned in sunshine was so fantastic. I had researched some great places to have lunch or dinner at on Monday, but couldn't remember the name of the place I wanted to take Laura. The Ski-shop knew instantly which restaurant I was talking about - this is a miracle, because we had decided to to turn at Zig-Zag and go shoeing in that area (we found out later there was not snow there). At the last moment I had decided to proceed up to Government camp to look for some different boots for Laura -We wouldn't have found out the name of the wonderful Restaurant or found a great place to snowshoe. The Ski shop owners were very cool people and we had fun meeting them too!
  8. Snow-shoeing was such a blast and taking pictures a wonderful break from our normal life (more pictures to be posted on my Facebook). We had Beef-jerky for breakfast and lunch so by the time we got back to Welches to eat at the Rendezvous (link) we were hungry. We started with a Yukon potato and Delecata squash dish covered with Raclette cheese appetizer (Little pre-mature baby Cornichon pickles and marinated red onions garnished the delightful cheese roof of this delightful appetizer). The soup was a yellow lentil-squash-kale-curry soup that was some of the best soup I've had in many years (they are famous for their soup). Several people have made that "sour cottage cheese face" when I tell them about the soup, but the proof is in the taste-buds - seriously taste stuff! Then we both chose the same Smoked Chicken Ravioli with Champaign sauce main dish - it had hazelnuts, cranberries, and mushrooms added; and, oh my, it was unbelievable! I wanted the salmon or halibut but . . . The drinks, the deserts (all made there) are all made there - We didn't know it, but this was their Happy-hour menu. We laugh, because not only did we get to share some of our India stories with the waitress, but then she told us, after our meal, that our food was 1/2 price. It doesn't get any better (at least this last Valentines)!
  9. After resting our little Honda in our driveway, Laura did a show-n-tell, for the kids, of the Jewelry I had given her (including earrings from the Art/book store next to Rendezvous). Laura also got a kettle ball (I got her a 5 lb one) and the new massage book -Reflexology of the feet. Like the gift of Dance lessons I gave last V. day, this gift surprised Laura into a laughing spell when she opened this gift. Her eyes still large, and in a dumbfounded tone, she asked me, "Are you really going to massage my feet?" I've had a serious "anti-foot fetish" (I can't stand touching feet) for many decades. I decided last week that this was something I could overcome (I've not tried it yet, but will). Laura's family has a long history of giving each other foot massages (it's very scary). Laura also got new snow gloves and of course, the new snow hiking boots. All of this, including the night out and two dinners, added up to less than some nice diamond jewelry (wow - budgets ARE a good thing :).
  10. We finished our Valentines experience by watching a bit of the Olympics with our family. Dropping into our own bed so that the 5 a.m. alarm thief didn't destroy us was so welcoming. Before falling to sleep, we began dreaming of next February 14. My wife truly felt like the princess God has called her to be - we both were so grateful for God's lavish love and the way we were able to share it with several people we met. I've got a surprise started already that will be given to Laura next year on February 12! Your not to late for starting to plan for 2011 (single, married, or in a special friendship - YOU CAN DO IT!).


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey i really appreciate what u did for Laura... Its so amazing to see such lovely relationships... I know this is all happened cos you love God n he sure loves u both n has special things for u both.. U both are lovely together i luv u guys... N wish u all the best n keep up the good god work...

Luv
Ashita.

Bruce said...

Thanks for your encouragement Ashita. As I said, I didn't choose my earthly father; he was an amazing mentor. Laura and I will pray for and encourage you and Caleb as much as we can!