4.21.2007

Easter goes to Court

Whenever I see people reaching out to their neighbors, co-workers, and especially strangers, with the same acceptance Jesus has for them I get very excited.

For this blog I won’t use her name, but I will say, “I can’t forget the look in her eyes as I baptized her on Easter Sunday.” Five years earlier this ladies’ husband died of cancer. It was so sudden. The lost of a husband, father and a sudden financial squeeze –the grieving, depression . . . everything, it was almost impossible to bear. The kids struggled so much through these dark months. Then into this tragedy a neighbor, Colleen stepped. Laura and I have been friends with Colleen and her family for a long time. We did ministry together, devoured pizza, admired home improvement projects; I was privileged to baptize two of their kids (Both are in the Kid's World Band now - Watching them on stage Fri. night at our Family Night out was so cool. Katie Bishop led and the energy and fun was way over the top for God - It was one very fun night!). We are made for deep meaningful relationships. I had no idea how much Colleen’s choice to love on this hurting family would bless me, my own faith, and so many other people as well.

Colleen was so nervous when she first approached her neighbor; one of the rumors was they were “God haters.” But Colleen stepped into her own Jordon and the result are beyond amazing – their eternal! Colleen and her family kept just being there and loving this family. It after this lady’s husband had been buried that Laura and I were able to meet her in her home. The burden of the stress, bills, and unsettled life was about to drown this single mom. It was there that we opened our hearts, the Bible, and a picture of Jesus love that is a gift that is totally free, never earned or deserved. It was such a joy to share Jesus and see her say yes to the GIFT OF LIFE.

Jesus’ love, His Father’s love – their the exact same. God is mad-in-love with us (John 3:16-18). God’s love is THE gift, offered to us before we even knew He existed (like a new born infant totally unaware of their parent’s love (Romans 5:6-20, Ephesians 2:1-10). This very moment we can know we are God’s forever-friends and that we will live in His love forever – we ARE His kids (I John 5:11-13) !

Fast forward with me four years from this “I’m God’s Kid” moment (the moment of knowing you know you are forever safe in Jesus) this lady had experience. We had lost contact with new baby Christ-follower. Like many of us, this grieving "daughter of the King" had fallen into a deep pit of discouragement. Finding a job, dealing with issues in her home, fear, . . . it so quickly tears us down, isolates us, makes feel like we failed. Now after four years this same lady is standing in a swimming pool, in the Rose Garden, Easter morning, waiting for me to baptize her into Jesus forever arms of love. As she came up out of the water, her eyes glowed in an inhuman, most beautiful way. Again, my heart exploded with the resolution God put there many years ago, “There is no price to high to pay, no mountain too tall, no difficulty to great” when comes to seeing lost people find out God has never left them and will love them, for free, forever! Forever friendship with God, there's nothing better! The words of my pastor and friend, fellow worker John Bishop is so true, “Lost people do matter to God.”

But this Easter story isn’t over. Just a couple days after her baptism this lady son was arrested at a late night party and put up in the local slammer. Because of Easter, God’s perfect timing was so clearly seen. My wife, Laura, was able to sit with this mom and pray as her son stood before the judge. Just a couple of days after getting out of jail, this young man left a message inviting Laura and me to meet and pray with him. Wow! Only God knew how much this lady needed strength and how much her baptism would surround her with new friends and renewed hope! God is even now reaching out to her kids! Only God!

Who is God asking you to smile on, invite to the Convention center this Sunday, show kindness to, pray for? Stop. You an read this blog later – go and call, email, drive over and make that forever difference! Do it now! I’m so glad that five years ago Colleen listened to God and took that scary walk down the street to offer love to a hurting neighbor – another one of God’s kids is home safe!

We all have but one life to live –let’s go, full speed (Rhino hyper-pace-speed) ahead. CRASH ON!

We love BECAUSE he 1st loved us! I John 4:19

Matthew 25: 34-40
“Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the Kingdom prepared for you from the creation of the world. For I was hungry, and you fed me. I was thirsty, and you gave me a drink. I was a stranger, and you invited me into your home. I was naked, and you gave me clothing. I was sick, and you cared for me. I was in prison, and you visited me.’
37 “Then these righteous ones will reply, ‘Lord, when did we ever see you hungry and feed you? Or thirsty and give you something to drink? Or a stranger and show you hospitality? Or naked and give you clothing? When did we ever see you sick or in prison and visit you?’
40 “And the King will say, ‘I tell you the truth, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were doing it to me!’

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice to meet you in person tonight, Bruce. Keep on bloggin for Jesus! :D