4.24.2007

New way to play "Hide and Seek"

I felt it on Sunday afternoon, about 3:30 p.m. to be precise! It was that old personality twitch again, my desire to hear “my love-language” via “words of affirmation.”


The Convention service was amazing! The response to John's call to be honest about pain in our lives, to see God suffering with us, to come to Him and be real, all of it was so life-changing, inspiring. I helped facilitate a class following the service and it was so thrilling to see people who had never been to Living Hope, many of them still damp, glowing from their Easter baptism, join me. Some had come last week for the first time, like the guy who Jason invited in from the “body, mind, and spirit” conference (This guy accepted Jesus at the end of the service! WOW! Way to be there Jason!). Several of our new leaders for the Fresh Start class (soon to be a LifeGroup) were there, including Dennis Blevens.

Dennis was the guy I wanted to call at 3:30 p.m. on Sunday. I wanted to ask Dennis how I did facilitating the class. Why? I’ve taught classes for almost thirty years (Yes, I started teaching when I was 6!). I wanted to hear Dennis, distinguished former teacher from Multnomah School of the Bible, a coach to pastors around the globe, a super-teacher-wonder-pastor-mentor dude, say, "Good Job Bruce!"


“Dennis, what did you think?” my mind called out more than once. Well, I didn’t call Dennis, and today’s devotional from my old British chap friend made me glad I didn’t. Let me paraphrase his words: Living in the moment of my society isn’t my trap, nor is consciously rebelling against God; my trap, as a Christ-follower is I so passionately desire spiritual success! Oswald (read his devotional – here) says the problem is that our "definition of spiritual success" is patterned after “religion.” I think he's right! I look for what can be measured, counted, and will make a great “Chicken-soup-book” story! I love to see it, then write it down on paper (and privately brag to myself).

Oswald’s words hit me hard, Never seek after anything other than approval of God.” The devotion ends by saying that many religious leaders are little more than “dictators.” To avoid this my Brit friend says “Stay hidden with Christ in God –Colossians 3:3.”


Hide your heart from seeking approval from others, and hide, be safe, only in the reality that God is smiling at you. His spirit, Jesus’ presence, is IN you! You are HIS kid!


I saw so many people, Like Christy Davidson, working such long hours with little notice –what fueled them? I saw how Dondi rolled with the punches that some of the “not so friendly Convention staff” threw. She treated them as Jesus would and does! Why? They keep their hearts “hid in Jesus” only.

When my “love language” is the presence of Jesus, then any words or smiles from others simply becomes "berry purée" on an already wonderful New York Cheesecake!

Jesus is the both the reason and the source!

Play hide before you seek! Hide in Jesus and you’ll not become addicted to seeking your value and affirmation from Jesus!

1 comment:

Rob Erickson said...

Great word!
I, too, daily struggle. I "worry about what others my think about me". I try to continually remind myself that it is only His opinion that truly matters.

Rob Erickson