6.08.2007

Scary Questions to Ask Yourself

I greeted my British chap, "Good Ol' Buddy," Friday morning with an verbal exclamation; "Oh My . . . I can't believe it!" I've been meeting every morning with this old Brit for the last nine years. What he said as we first met blew me away! It mirrored the illustration I had shared with the Burlingame leaders on Wednesday night. Who's my friend? Oswald Chambers - a guy dead for nearly 100 years (I read his classic devotion every day - 9 years going strong).

So Wednesday I was brain storming together with the Burlingame Church leaders what amazing plans God had for us in our joint venture in reaching people in Portland with God’s incredible love. I had just shared with them two stories and then challenged them to wrestle through the implications and questions. I reminded them that none of us can measure or assess the level of another person’s spiritual journey. I challenged them to ask the question my sweetheart (Laura – wife & best friend for 32 years this month) and I asked ourselves about four years ago. Here’s illustration and question (Try it on and sit how it fits you!): Life is no longer like a gentle river, instead it’s more like the rapids (even dipping into a rapid with a cup changes the water –it’s no longer a rapid). As Christ-followers we are called to not camp out or build forts on the shore, rather to get into the boat, cut the lines that hold it to the dock, and move out into the rapids. There IN THE RAPIDS we can best help people met Jesus and accept His forever love. Once in the rapids, if we listen, Jesus will ask us to get out of the boat. Some of us have responded, and we are outside the boat, walking on water. But it’s possible that we’re still hanging on, like someone learning to barefoot water ski, with one hand to the side of the boat. Just as Jesus invited Peter to walk away from the boat, towards him, we are called to do the same.

I reminded them of the question Laura and I had faced a few years ago, “If we could see even 10 more people fall in love, forever, with Jesus as a result of us being willing to change or risk more, wouldn’t it be worth the risk?

Burlingame’s leaders are choosing to listen, individually and collectively. They are courageous followers of Christ. Join us and do the same in your life: evaluate, in prayer, where you are! Are you: On the shore? In a boat tied us to the dock? In the rapids? Out of the boat, walking on water, but still hanging on? Are you taking those steps that could lead to a dunking (like Pete’s baptism of learning NOT to take his eyes off Jesus)?

Spend the time, no matter how hard, dark, or uncomfortable –it’s worth it. Besides Jesus will take you to a new high in knowing you were made for a reason; a really big one.

You are a difference maker in Jesus! Step out of the boat! Let go of the sides! You can walk on water!

TO READ Oswald Chamber's devotion click here!

No comments: