10.10.2007

The Linda Taylor Story (Part III)

I woke up this morning and asked myself, "Bruce, what citadel have you erected or place in the way of recieving a huge morning hug from your best friend Jesus?"

I've been in a "difficult time" spiritually for nearly a month. I find myself early in the morning reflecting, being honest (ouch), and listening to whatever and however Jesus wants to speak into my life.

Often the answers I hear encourages me to dig down deeper (like peeling an onion - Shrek is one of the "great" relationship movies -don't you think?) and look at some of the root causes to my current heart-spot (attitude).

Today, one of those favorite "lies" came rushing to the surface. The word I love to hate and so often fall into is, "Justice." It's so, so easy for me to fall into all my rights, how fairly I should be treated, how much I deserve in this, MY LIFE. We often live in a society that is crazy-drunk with one's personal "rights."

It's easy to mis-believe that "my freedom" is to do whatever "I want" and not have anyone else stop me, slow me down, or criticize me! What a lie! Whenever I focus on MY RIGHTS I always move towards isolation and self-focused ME-NESS (meanness)! I really believe life has very, very, very, very LITTLE to do with rights and "my justice" and so, so, so, so MUCH more to do with grace (the gift given "just because"). Grace is Gift-giving because someone wants to not because of any actions on our part ("We are able to love BECAUSE God first loved us!" - See I John 4:19).

My focus on everything as a gift, a blessing. so helps me when I'm in a weird "self-funk." Today I heard God say, with a smile, "Bruce yours so looking for heaven to be here right now. It's not yet. Relax. Focus on all the gifts I've given you (jot them down right now) - there are a lot of them." It's so true! AND THAT BRINGS ME BACK TO MY FRIEND, LINDA TAYLOR (make sure you read my previous two blogs re. her Marathon), Linda looked at her toes 12 yrs. ago and knew that the spinal infection could kill her. Instead of looking at how unfair it all was she notes the gift of some of her toes wiggling and waving back at her. SO, Linda focused on the hope and promise of walking, working, and living. Linda not only learned to walk, to continue working as an amazing nurse. She brought joy, encouragement, and adventure to a lot of people last week when she finished the Portland Marathon.


Life is a gift - Jesus is the best gift ever given. He's wanting you to say thank you and never ever once think it has anything to do with how good looking you are or how much you "deserve" to be treated fairly.

You are blessed - have a "I've been gifted" aware-kind-of-day!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bruce, thank you for sharing your heart with the world. Sometimes I feel as though I'm the only one who has a "difficult time" spiritually. What a blessing it is for me to hear your wisdom and encouragement. May God continue to bless you in this season of life. your friend, Kris A.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Kris - You are an inspiration to our whole family!

Bruce

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to Linda for her great accomplishments and to Don for always wearing his trademark Hawaiian shirts. It always makes me smile.

Sorry to hear about your spiritual "time of trouble" Bruce. But you'll pull out of it and use it to bring even deeper, meaningful, and heartfelt insights to others. But in the meantime I know it can be a lonely and dark place to feel trapped. I know, I certainly know...

Agrippa

Anonymous said...

Bruce,
I enjoy reading your blog. You are transparent, down to earth, and honest. We all go through the valley times and that is the time that God is molding and re-shaping me. I want to encourage you, even by your blog you are touching others.
God Bless You
Debbie

Anonymous said...

Bruce,
I wanted to let you know how much I appreciate your blog, your transparency, your honesty. Thanks. Sometimes when I'm in the valley I know it's when God is re-shaping me. I don't like it! But that is when all of the hard work gets done. Just wanted to let you know how your blog touches people.
God Bless You
Debbie

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much Debbie! It’s so easy for us to isolate and forget that all of us are more alike than we often realize. I really do find so much joy in refocusing and actually listing my “blessing.” Attitude is changed by gratitude!

Bruce

raidergirl said...

laugh out loud so funny

Anonymous said...

Linda you are incredible! You have a huge heart! Thank you for your strength. Thank you for serving in KW!