1.26.2008

What counts most

PORTLAND ADVERTISEMENT: 8:30am this Sunday (Jan. 27) you are invited to a very cool (and hot) breakfast! Come to the Laurelhurst campus and have breakfast while we share the latest dreams and happenings in Portland. Just show up. (Worship follows at 10am.)

I haven't blogged about a movie for a couple of years but last night we went and saw The Bucket List and I couldn't resist encouraging you to go see it too. It's a great movie to schedule coffee or dinner afterwards for some fun reflections. My friend Don and several others encouraged me to see it a couple weeks ago after Mike Miller's "Today" talk at Living Hope.
I'm always looking and anticipating God's voice in all the arts. (Acts. 17 is my base for this way of thinking). I hear, see, and respond to the picture of an "Absolutely Good God" who has the "best plan" for each of us in many movies I see. It's very likely the writers and directors were not intending to paint such a picture. But God seems to talk with me well in the arts.

I love the way the word "nowhere" can be used to say, "I want to live 'nowhere' but 'here now!' "After reading my old friend from the other side of the pond I agree: " 'Consider the lilies of the field . . .' (Matthew 6:28). They grow where they are planted. Many of us refuse to grow where God plants us. Therefore, we don’t take root anywhere."

Being in the present tense "now" with my friend Jesus is simply "the best!" Life is often complex, confusing, and very much a cover-up, a medicating hiding game. All that numbing out stops when BEING in a friendship with Jesus, right NOW, becomes our reason for living.

Watch the movie and let me know how it touches your life. Hope to see you at breakfast (It IS the most important meal . . . " Can you hear your mom's voice right now?").

No comments: