1.31.2008

Wisdom - Day 2 of the experiment

R U trying out this 30 day experiment? Here's my verse for today:

Proverbs 31:30 "Charm is deceptive, and beauty does not last; but a woman who fears the LORD will be greatly praised."

[Prov. 31 is my least favorite of all the Proverbs. For years the "noble wife" verses bugged my wife - it seemed so impossible to be this kind of "perfect" woman. But seeing how much she's cherished by God and her three boys - Gordon, Marcus, and me, has changed that for her]













Verse 30:
  • My wit, my strength are all temporary. What natural talents, personality traits, and skills do I trust in most? They are usually not enough - I need more!
  • My outward strength, poise, and smile; all can be good, but they still are not long lasting enough. I still need more!
  • WHAT LASTS THE LONGEST? Fear (one of my "Oh WOW" verses is I John 4:18) in this context means "deep awe." I'm in awe towards my ultimate heroes in life. My father became so large in my life that I would often get goosebumps when I was with him. My dad so touched others with a sense of love, hope, and authentic value, that I felt such inspiring awe seeing God breathe through him. Whenever I read the word "fear" in the Old Testament I must decide if it represents "awe" or "terror."
  • Another similar Hebrew word for fear can be seen in Prov. 28:14 - it's the same idea.
  • High value = great respect. What I value most, I cherish. Those things which are of greatest value I stand in awe of - I worship!
  • To have this kind of relationship with God keeps other things (even my strengths) as "less" than my passionate friendship with Him. How big is your awe of God right now?
What counts most in your life? What do you value above all else?

No comments: