2.28.2009

Learning to dance (Why did I wait 30+ years?)

 

So, I’m here (hear me) to proclaim that I’ve been acting very, very stupid for a long time.  I love to talk about how cool, essential, it is to pour into your spouses life!  We are difference makers, built in our Creator’s image (passions, values, and needs) . . . Yes I believe God has needs (GOD IS LOVE . . . therefore God' needs objects, creations, being to be in relationship with.)!

Back to acting stupid; I gave Laura the ultimate Valentines gift (for her), I bought her a lesson with a 2008 champion swing dance finalist.  We went last Monday to one of studios she teaches at – what a flight of stairs I had to climb.  It was worse than K2 or Mt. Mckinley.  I have several “left” feet and when I try to move them to music (so I’ve always believed) I turn into a Gerald Ford in terms of gracefulness!  I’d tried dancing at a church hoe-down once (it may have been the Country music that messed me up) and it was a huge disaster.  Everyone got they entertainment out of laughing at me and they even made a video which they showed in church the next week (just before I got up to speak).

But Laura was so encouraging (almost giddy) and  after another quick trip to the bathroom and breaking my dancing shoe laces we were ready . . . NOW HERE’S PROOF that I’ve taken GOLD in the “act real stupid” category:  The minute I began the lesson with her she began to glow (light an airport strobe) and she continued to glow for three more days.

I even caught her bragging it up to four other friends (ladies) what a super-human husband she is married to  . . . Stupid Bruce; it cost so very little and paid out so very big!  I’ve known for a long time this little act of giving would bring so much happiness and speak so much to Laura’s language of love.  Why didn’t I do this for her long time ago?  That’s why I saw I’ve been acting very stupid.  Wikipedia has updated it’s definition of acting stupid with a picture of me and the truth that I had NO GOOD reason for holding back this gift from my wife all these years!

So, why didn’t I do this for my best-friend/sweetheart long time ago?

1)  Ignorance is bliss (but still very stupid)
2)  I didn’t want to look stupid MORE than I wanted to bring real joy to my true love
3)  I thought if I didn’t think about how much this would bless my wife then it wouldn’t make it so stupid
4)  I’m very lazy when it comes to doing things I don’t have any motivation to do
5)  I closed the door by saying I do lots of other great things for her
6)  I compared myself to other men and was able to hid behind that
7)  I lied by saying, “It’s just not me!”  This is such a top-10-lie
BOTTOM LINE: (8)   I was being selfish! 

I’ve met so many people who could add so much to their spouses, kids, parents, siblings, and friends lives but they live out of fear, the comfort of predictability, and selfishness.

What should you plan to do right now that you KNOW will add to a relationship that is very important.

p.s.  The day after; the dance lesson wasn’t that bad.  Laura and I are now practicing (it’s such a wonderful gift for her).  I love a challenge and so I’ve booked a second lesson.  I wonder what will happen when we start moving to the music!

I’m no longer acting stupid.  It’s such a great feeling.  

Paul is a friend of mine who wrote this famous love advice (considered by some to be the greatest definition of love): read what he said about these moments of opportunity.

No comments: