3.05.2008

More about Skidboot & Prayer


Did you watch the YouTube clip from yesterday? Skidboot died one year ago this month. More than a half a million people have watched the clip from yesterday's post. In the story, David says about the news that his dog was going blind, "If God gives me a thunderstorm I'm going to thank Him. IF he gives me a blind dog it just means we have more personal time together."

My second 3-word-prayer, "I am Blessed!"

My second prayer I try to pray when I wake up (I pray it in bed; then journal it later on my laptop, "Lord, I'm Blessed!). I mentioned it in an earlier prayer blog and I just want to remind myself, and you, again this morning: "An attitude of gratitude will transform your world". When I hurt, my ego-me-glasses I'm wearing suddenly turn into mirrors; and I can only see me. In the clip of David, his joy came not because he had a great "ministry", (the idea he had was something he never even thought of) but because he loved his dog . He was full of joy for the way it opened doors to bless millions of other people's lives.

What am I thankful for today?:
1) Yesterday, a pastor-friend dropped by my office - great visit, 2) my son dropped by and raided my office refrigerator - how cool to have your kids want to hang with you (free pop), 3) the Oswald Chambers devotional so filled me up, 3) Laura and I got to hang out with a cool friend, work on a project together, and share our son's newest music he's writing, 4) Sharing with a young couple who are planning to get married - seeing more hope and joy come into their lives, 4) Having a friend tell me of some of the miracles others shared with her from this last weekend at our Portland service, 5) Watching my wife cry (she has such a wonderful tender heart) this a.m. watching the clip I posted yesterday of Skidboot, 6) Wanting to kill my bird this morning but not following through, 7) Knowing that I get to go to the gym this a.m. and do cardio, and 8) the anticipation of being with our Life Group tonight! I am such a blessed person! Thank You God.

Yesterday's recommended book:
What I like about this true life story is that things don't have to work out the way we want them to in order to see so many miracles anyway. God doesn't ever get painted into a corner! He's never wringing His cosmic hands and saying, "What the heck am I going to do now?" This book says well, "Wow, how much can one take? Where's justice?" And yet when I finished reading it, I was feeling, "Wow, with God things do turn out ok". Get the book, then give it away as a gift!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That YouTube clip is very moving and your comparison of God to Dog is very apt. In a appropriately respectful way, of course. My wife says that my little dog, Jackson, who she got several years ago against my vehement wishes at the nadir of my current problems, may have saved my life. Literally. He is a constant reminder of the power of unconditional love and unfailing loyalty. In the beginning I didn't want him in my life. Now I can't imagine life without him.

But maybe there is an even more intriguing object lesson about prayer here. In this era of cell phone and tiny computer instant communication we expect instant replies. If that isn't enough we expect the reply in exactly the same manner we asked. We want to HEAR it, or at least read it in real time. Instant messenger as instant gratification. If we don't hear it or read it on our hand held device of choice, RIGHT NOW, it's unacceptable.

But no matter how close your relationship with your beloved dog is it just doesn't work that way. Canines simply aren't capable of conversation. If you ask your dog a question only someone deep into the 'shrooms or as deluded as David "Son of Sam" Berkowitz would expect your dog to answer you immediately, in human language. No the key to communicating with your dog is something on a much simpler, yet infinately more complicated, level.

Last week I was out in the yard doing some work. I scratched my arm deeply on some bushes and although it didn't bleed it was very painful. After I came into the house and sat down in my recliner Jackson jumped up next to me, as he always does, and he immediately noticed something was wrong with my arm. He began to lick and nuzzle the wound and then put his head down on my arm and looked up at me with deep, soulful eyes. I didn't ask for his sympathy or complain about my pain. I didn't have to, before I could even speak he already knew. How? Because we spend so much time together our relationship doesn't even really need words. We attempt to learn everything we can about the other, share adventures, and try to please each other because that is what best friends do out of loyalty and love, not obligation. His quiet actions meant far more to me than all the fine, yet often hollow, words a human being could have spoken. He didn't say, he just did.

Maybe that's what prayer with God should be about. One of my favorite old proverbs goes something like this, "Never try to teach a pig to sing, you'll only frustrate yourself and piss off the pig". God is certainly no pig, but not only do we want Him to learn to sing in our preferred language, we want to choose His song. God as cosmic jukebox. Do we get angry when our dogs can't answer in American accented English? No, we just learn other way to communicate and continue to love them more. Should we expect and accept anything less than that from God Himself?

Of course on the other hand, I can SEE, touch, and feel my dog...

Anonymous said...

Agrippa, you inspire me today! :)