3.11.2008

From the past - remembering today

The original version (Todd Rundgren's) was good, but England Dan & John Ford Coley's version might be better (anyway, it's the 70's). Thanks Jeff for sending the words to me:

What do these words say to you?



"Light of the world, shine on me
Love is the answer
Shine on us all, set us free
Love is the answer."

"Who knows why
Someday we all must die
Were all homeless boys and girls
And we are never heard
Its such a lonely world
People turn their heads and walk on by
Tell me, is it worth just another try?"

"Tell me, are we alive, or just a dying planet?
What are the chances?
Ask the man in your heart for the answers."
I've searched in a lot of places, but Jesus is one of the only great leader who invites me to follow him, not just his teachings. Beyond the call to be good, noble, courageous, Jesus has broken down religion and raised up friendship (love) as the meaning of life - check out his claim: I am your light!


Last night Laura and I watched a movie a couple friends encouraged me to see, Across the Universe. It's like an epic music video where the singing makes sense in the story (mostly). The way the Beatles song are done took me into a time of reflection. I was at the end of Viet Nam and I saw the men who came back. I saw the violence on the TV and heard the people debate. I then turned to my Rare Earth concerts and party-time life. I watched as a couple thousand Hippys invaded our little town every year. But I never found light. I was always running and hiding . . . I even hid from the reality that I was hiding. So, watching the Beatles era last night left me with these thoughts:

1) Great music has staying power

2) Life is not defined by what I do

3) Freedom, justice, and peace are unattainable without a power beyond myself


I am so, so glad I've got Jesus instead of religion - my relationships were so unhealthy before - Living Love is Life!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

England Dan & John Ford Coley? Boy, I did really love that song, and the couple of other hits they had, back during my often mindless journey of the 1970's. That was not a popular choice among my KISS, Aerosmith, and Who loving friends. But I didn't see why you couldn't enjoy "Love is the Answer" AND "Sweet Emotion". But perhaps I was just weird in that way.

They say that the sense of smell is the most powerful in helping the mind to conjure up memories from our past. I would argue hearing, specifically music, can be almost as effective. Just hearing that song again this morning almost magically transported me back to my misspent youth and brought a wistful smile to my face. Watching "Across the Universe" just reinforced that conviction. Music can be a powerful tool for good or a stunning weapon of evil. But can the same song be both, depending on the time, place, and state of mind? What are the implications for Christians and your sense of mission? "Across the Universe" presents Beatle songs in different versions with several artists and succeeds in making what was old sound new again. Much as newer translations of the Bible can make the KJV sound fresh to a new generation. It's a concept as old as...well, the Bible. But music, particularly from unexpected and underappreciated sources and in a completely new context can be an staggeringly effective form of worship. Your use of "Love Is the Answer" just proves that point.

Good blog today, Bruce. As always, you amuse me. But you should have gone one step further with your Rare Earth reference and put up some of the lyrics to "I Just Want to Celebrate". Change way to Way in the first verse, as in He is the Way, and you have another example of the glory of music as gospel. Not to mention that it just makes a great rockin' classic even better...

I just want to celebrate another day of livin'
I just want to celebrate another day of life

I put my faith in the people
But the people let me down
So I turned the other Way
And I carry on, anyhow

That's why I'm telling you
I just want to celebrate, yeah, yeah
Another day of living, yeah
I just want to celebrate another day of life

Erik said...

I love The Beatles music! It is amazing to me how their work is still so influential. I think it is awesome when God allows us to make a lasting impression like that. Like Lincoln, MLK, Billy Graham and so many others.

I hope my life adds up to something amazing and that God is praised through it.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Mr. Agip . . . very fun comment & I never listened consciously to the words (too much going on at a Rare Earth concert back then . . .
Eric, wow - How is it that my readership of the 6 faithful has swelled to include you! What a good day to know the "E" man has visited my blog!

Bruce