3.03.2008

Prayer - Why I pray "I am Yours."


If I wake up early in the morning, say 2 a.m., I usually pray this prayer. I started a new discipline of praying the four, "three word prayers" (yesterday's, 3.2.08, post) everyday about 2+ years ago. I pray them in bed when I wake up (the first two) and then write them out on my laptop in a daily journal. (I still have times when I'll go a couple of weeks not journaling these prayers). This practice has helped me in this Connection with God in my life.

The first prayer, "I am Yours" is so perfect for me. I grew up believing in God and also believing the chances of me spending eternity with Him were very slim. My fear-based life was so fed by religion. I was 17 when a party buddy came into my room and in the dark (I had just gone to bed) sat there and told me how God had spoken to him in his bed and he knew he was saved. It was so weird and I thought at first he was doing an SNL joke. But he was serious. He only knew one verse in the Bible (it was one day new): I John 5:11-13 "And this is what God has testified: He has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. 12 Whoever has the Son has life; whoever does not have God’s Son does not have life. 13 I have written this to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, so that you may know you have eternal life."

My friend, Joe Asher, told me that night, "Bruce, you can really KNOW that God is your forever-friend. If you say 'yes' you don't need to be afraid ever again. God won't leave you. He will never abandon you." I said yes, had a wonderful three week walk with Jesus and then fell far away for a few more years. But of all the realities I believe, one near the top is this: it's impossible to have a full, healthy, rich friendship unless you believe that the other person is committed to you for the long haul. I had never believed this about God. I felt too messed up and believed that all my screw-ups made it impossible for God to be with me.

So praying what "God says about me" is very important for a guy who has so many years of guilt and doubt. I do believe God now (I might not later today) and I keep persisting in what HE says about me and OUR reality. I really do belong to Him! I, Bruce Avery, need to repeat this more powerful than anti-matter truth, hundreds of times every day - "I am Yours!" It's one of the greatest prayers God has given me. I have not prayed, "God, will you accept me?" prayers for over 10 years now. I plan never to pray those "I doubt what God says" prayers again. God says He's saved everyone. Anyone can say "yes" in their heart and KNOW and grow in this "I'll never leave you" friendship. It's true!

Besides the I John 5 passage, Romans 5 and Ephesians 2 (Note verse 3, then the amazing reality of God.) are long time favorites. God says that He's been nuts about us - died for us, saved us (just waiting for us to say "yes and thank you" back! I invite you to read those verses (usually what I put in red is a link) and start praying that prayer! It's a very powerful prayer!

Ok, I got so carried away that I forgot to blog re. Philippians 4:6-7. Read it several times. Ask yourself these three questions:

1) Why is God asking me to pray about "everything?" Everything is a big word!
2) Would it be weird to start telling God what I think I need?
3) How much of my day is flooded with thoughts of thankfulness?


The book I told you I'd share with you today; could you wait until tomorrow for me to share it with you? Thank you!

Have a nice pray-day!

No comments: