5.28.2008

How hungry are you? Hunger fuels temptation!

Have you ever watched someone when they were really, really hungry?

What do you think?


Hunger boosts desire. Desire finds it's life in what we hope for. What do you hope for more than anything else? This is why when God says
"Know Yourself"
(I Corinthians 10:12 . . . Watch out when you think you're strong). I'm so unaware of how hungry I am for affirmation, for safety, for a sense of direction. I want to know there's a reason for breathing, living, and doing what I'm doing today. My longing, my imagining what "I think" is best fuels my desire for a microwave "NOW!" I need to feel "Ok" right now. Thus my previous "good use" of M&M's (Yes, I really did have a serious addiction to M&M's.) It sounds silly, and it's easy to discount the "little stuff", but it's a flag of what I really hope for; I keep wanting Heaven (a perfect, full-filled-up world) NOW! But Heaven is only in my heart, not complete. I've got to wait for God's perfect timing. M&M's (Only the peanut ones tempt me!) are an easy fix that lasts for a few minutes and gives one the illusion (and physiological boost) of being fulfilled. I've been to the Las Vegas M&M store - fun. But really, does it ever last?

Psalm 81 talks about how our lust turns us away from God, who wants to fill us up, and causes us to allow our minds to imagine "unknowable" gods as real. We actually try to have a "relationship" with "things." Check out verses 8-12. The Hebrew word used for "lust" can also mean "stubbornness." It's from an ancient root word that means "to twist" to make a rope. It is related to the word for our umbilical cord. Our human DNA is designed to supply life. Our lusts are "desire" out of control. So how does this all relate to temptation?

1) When I'm really full, wanting to buy expensive "fresh packed Claussen pickles" at the grocery store isn't a big temptation. (I like expensive olives, cheese, and other fine foods too!) One of the things that saved Laura and I from disaster and divorce was that we have consistently spent a lot of time and money investing in each other. We are best friends. We've grown over the years to love the same sports, same outdoor activities, art, and even reading material. If you're empty on healthy relationships, you will be addicted to something! Temptation always uses hunger as a way of getting our direction turned the other way. Watch, and surround yourself with friends who are on the same road, have the same ultimate goals as you, especially when you're tired and hungry.

2) Remind yourself often what really fills you up! I still like M&M's but I save them for movies. I also like the fact that I rarely get sick (watching how much simple sugar I eat). I like being flexible and able to play hard with my kids (and soon granddaughter - She will be one amazing soccer player (she's very tall), real baller, and fabulous tennis star. (Also Michelle Wie will have been nothing compared to this girl!) Anyway, that's what makes one of my favorite sayings by King David so amazing, "Joy comes from your presence" not God's "presents." I keep loving things and using people. Lasting fullness comes when we love people and use things. Things are not bad. Nothing physical in itself is bad. (Guns don't kill people . . . you can smile, I'm trying to be funny . . . sorry!) It's when we turn things into our focus, our source for feeling "Ok" about ourselves that we end up abusing, using people. We turn away from God to our homemade gods. Here is one very "out of this world" Bible verse: Psalm 18:19! The word used for "place of safety" means literally "Wide space." Are you all boxed in, locked in a prison by your "out of control hunger?" God's hunger is to set us free! Why does God rescue us? What's His motive? God actually gets His kicks, delights, in us! God enjoys, finds His pleasure, in a relationship with us! God rested after 6 days of creation. Making things is good. But the only day he made holy was the 7th. What did God do on the 7th day of creation? He didn't make anything. He did what is most important, He spent time in relationship with His newest kids, Adam and Eve. Our ultimate purpose in life is to BE in relationship with God and others, in the same way He is in relationship to us!

Temptation dies when we are full on God's presence. Do you sense God in you? Have you invited God to live in you today? The whole idea of using disciplines like prayer, the reading of the Bible, and hanging out with others (church, small groups, etc) is that it helps us know and believe that God really does live in those who invite Him in! I have read Psalm 139 almost every day for 7 years. I try to read John 14-17 once a month. I want to fill up on reminders of God's presence in me. Check out this verse! It's exactly what I've been blogging about! Where do I find my joy? What should I do when I've got some great food? This is a cool concept . . . make sure you go to this link!

Tomorrow, more pictures and more on King David (some very cool texts) and how to curb the hunger that kills. (We will look at how to wake up the true hunger God placed inside of us) . . .

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Pastor Bruce,
Thanks for this message. I'm adding you to my must read blogs. Good stuff with lots of great links. I love the God's Presence vs. Presents. Amen.

Again, congrats on the new grand baby. They are truly the best. It's hard to imagine Laura as a grand mom, but I guess we all have to go sometime. You are loved.

Anonymous said...

Thank Laura for sharing that Palms 16 verse with me a few years ago. She's spent many years enjoying God's voice through the study of the Bible.

Bruce