5.14.2008

Spin Class, Identity, and faulty self-talk


It was my day off and I was in the gym . . . something the Spin Class teacher said keeps going round and round in my head (I was pushing hard on that stationary bike, ugh, and dealing with the cold, hard reality that this teacher picks horrible music - Techno and Country . . . please!). It wasn't just what she said, but when she said it -she said, "Do what 's right for you!" This came with 1.5 min. to go of that "give it all you have" apex of a burnout. The more I think about what she said, that "blue light special" pop psychology phrase, the more I wonder how often it is very untrue. Here are a just a few reasons why I doubt the value of this phrase:

1. So often what's right for me is harmful to others (Like techno music! It even has the word "no" in it. Let me rant, not rave, for a second . . . Techno is wonderful if, and I mean if . . . you are on ecstacy and at a rave or maybe at a dance club . . . and know how to dance. It doesn't work when you're lifting weights!)

2. How can I trust ME to know what's right? This is where one can fall down a deep rabbit hole. It assumes that I know best what's BEST for me. In the case of my spin class, part of the magic of having a "teacher/coach" is that s/he understands how better to take me beyond what "I think is best" to that higher level . . . further up and further in . . . . I believe Bruce Avery seldom knows what's right by looking only to his own resources, ideas, and senses (I've bought so many cars without a "team" and I still focus only on "me" when buying my "electronic gadgets" most of the time . . . books too; I don't even consult my sweetheart.) God gives us great friends, His Spirit; Life is not a solo experience. This is one of the most common ways I end up going down the wrong trail . . . NO, I can't know what's right for me by just listening to me! I need friends!

I would offer up a better phrase, "DO WHAT'S RIGHT." Then you can honestly say what or who you base your opinion of "right."

Who do I trust most? Proverbs 14:12

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am very much enjoying your blogs!!