2.14.2008

Will YOU be my Valentine? Your friend, God.


Here's my passage for today: Proverbs 14:31 (it fits well with my verse on the 11th).

Happy Valentine's! The commercial focus of commerce doesn't slow me down for one moment: I can run after the opportunity to make my sweetheart feel as alive today as she did when I flirted with her more than thirty-five years ago.
You are God's Valentine (He actually says he gets all crazy over you. Do you believe Him? Is God a liar?)!

Proverbs 14:31 "Those who oppress the poor insult their Maker, but those who help the poor honor him."
How "right on" do you think God's words are? Oppressing the poor is like spitting in God's face. And whenever you "help" the poor you are making God look good (honor). When someone is honored they attract more people to want to get to know them. Getting to know God personally is LIFE TRANSFORMING!

Notes: The Hebrew concept of "oppression" is that of exploiting, crushing, defrauding, opposing. So often I'm tempted to read the Bible and forget it's God's Word to me when I stop and actually listen to God. Who are the poor? Those who checkstand for hours on their feet checking out all the stuff I'm buying in the store? Does my indifference to them oppress them even more? Are there people God is allowing me to bless that are relationally poor? Do I miss seeing them because my crazy email connection on my cell phone is messed up? (I love/hate technology.)

"INSULT" = The Hebrew word denotes defying, taunting, or blaspheming; this is contempt at the highest levels. I would never do this to God, right? Can you remember someone who didn't realize how much they humiliated, hurt, dishonored, or made you feel like you weren't valued? It's easy to not be aware of how much we've hurt someone. To numb out with "busyness" or a long "to do list" can keep us from seeing when we insult others, or God.

"HELP" = Show consideration, favor, be gracious. So I was thinking, if God has already told me what His "love language" is; the way He best hears "I care" messages, then wouldn't I want to use that language to bless Him? Helping those in need is how God will best hear "I love you. Happy Valentine's." Just in case we missed it, Jesus made it pretty clear (Matt. 25; also see James). We really do get by with a little help from a friend. Be God's Valentine today!

I've got a blog on Valentine's partically finished. It a little bit on how my sweetheart celebrates it - I'll try to post it later (I hope. . .).

No comments: