2.06.2008

Wisdom in Proverbs 6 (day 8)

Déjà vu for me this morning - I almost go caught in the trap of co-signing for a friend. I look back and am so glad I didn't (give them money - but be very careful about loaning it). Proverbs 6:1-4 reminds me that God cares about the choices I make. God is all about rescuing us from stupid-human decisions. Pray about everything! Everything? Yes (Philippians 4:6)!

Reading the seven things God hates (verses 16-19) brought these words to my mind: pride, cover-ups, deadly-force, greed, addiction, contempt, and divisiveness. "God, I want Your heart to guide my entire body so that only life and love flow out." Amen.

I have never had an affair in 32+ years of marriage
, BUT like Jimmy Carter, I've committed adultery in my heart. I've witnessed the pain, personally, of hundred of people going through a living hell because they didn't trust God in this area of their life. This is far more poisonous than our society and may people realize. I did go out on my sweetheart when we were engaged and for the rest of my life I will remember how "right on" God is in Hi
s wisdom. God is passionately in love with us - Every plan He shares with us is the VERY BEST! If you or a friend you know are trapped, or are being tempted, in this area, run to God and surround yourself with mature Jesus followers! Don't try to walk away from this deadly trap alone! Trust God's way to be the best.
My Passage for the day: Proverbs 6:20-23 (see
Deuteronomy 6:1-8)
"My son, obey your fathers commands, and don't neglect your mother's teaching. Keep their words always in your heart. Tie them around your neck. Wherever you walk, their counsel can lead you. When you sleep they will protect you. When you wake up in the morning, they will advice you: For these commands and this teaching are a lamp to light the way ahead of you. The correction of discipline is the way of life."


Orthodox Jews literally affix a case (mezuzah) with Scripture from Deut. 6:9 in it next to the door case of their homes (hotels too). Laura and I bought a few of these when we were in Israel. I'm a very visual person and have one in my office (I don't hang it in the orthodox way or have the Jewish prayer in it - I have to fit it to my personal connection to God). To take God's Words and create traditions can really build your faith. But it's easy to see a legal "I must do this" attitude develop. Many wonderful traditions become an end unto themselves. Superstition and human effort twist them and make them addictive idols instead of symbols of trust. Build traditions, but always keep clear your motives.

Here's how this passage touches my life: I want to see a reminder of God's plan (law) written over the door of my car (hundreds of innocent drivers today would appreciate this too). When I meet that college kid today at the coffee shop, I want to remember God's encouragement for this guy. Tonight as I walk through the door into the home where our Life Group meets I want to enter with a conscious reminder of God's healing promises, His desire to see us grow deep friendships. I want to see "God's way" everywhere: on your face, in the rain, and even on the monitor of my laptop! I want to see You Jesus lifted up. I have no feet or hands or even eyes today. You are in me and Your hands, your feet, your eyes will guide me on Your perfect path.

Have a great day!

No comments: