2.26.2008

My "God Interruption" this afternoon

How do you feel about interruptions? I was about to do one of my power naps this afternoon (8 minutes that work as well as a quad-latte) and I got a call from a friend who had crossed over the river and was minutes from my office. Yes I do believe in Divine Interruptions. Today meant to be an intense day of study for my subject on prayer this weekend (I'm speaking live at Laurelhurst this Sunday). Here's Ken's story (he gave me permission to share it with you):

Ken and his wife came to church Sunday and I starting visiting with them when Ken said he was looking to resign from his job of 19 years. We talked and I told him we should get together this week for coffee or lunch. I urged him to call me. I had no idea he had been praying about this very difficult situation in his life.

Monday morning he had prayed and written out a letter of resignation and then did something a bit on the "I'm not comfortable doing this" top shelf. Yesterday Ken called me and asked me to pray for him. He then met with the vice president of the company and gave him his letter of resignation. The results were amazing - No, we don't know the outcome but what really counts is what God did in Ken's life. So here he is Tuesday afternoon in my office, his face glowing with what God is up to!

Ken is a guy who, in the past, would never lean on someone else for help. Sunday he prayed to God and said, "I need someone BIG I can crawl up in their lap and be held close." Never would Ken have imagined how that prayer would turn out. His old drinking buddys would probably say, "This is impossible! This isn't the Kenny we know." And yet it is. After this prayer, Ken began to call a small group of friends and invite them for prayer for him. Some of the advice he got changed entirely how he was planning to handle his job situation. And here he is, this Wednesday afternoon giving me permission to share this story with you.

When Ken came to church last Sunday he was expecting to hear John speak, not Mike Miller (John got sick Friday and couldn't speak at Living Hope). And yet Ken says it was Mike Miller's message that opened his heart to pray such a vulnerable prayer and then call others and tell them what was going on. And if he hadn't called he might not have had such a great day sharing with several people he's worked with a long time. Ken is determined to share more, pray more, and build a team of friends that together will make a huge impact for God.

Walking out into the sunshine of this beautiful day with Ken; knowing that as he drives back across the bridge into God's country, he will be taking a lot of sunshine with him -it's a great feeling. Kenny's already thinking about who he can invite this week to hear my sermon on prayer (or someone else's sermon if I get sick - smile).

Ken, you are a real man and one of my heroes! A couple years ago you were far from God and now you discover more every day how mad-in-love the Creator of the universe is with you. I feel honored to have been able to hear your story! Prayer didn't just change Ken, it was a very cool Divine Interruption in my life today.

Happy Wednesday! Building teams of friends, to share life with, IS the best way to live today!

No comments: