2.15.2008

Soup or Steak - Wisdom in Proverbs 15

Youskyme's is this little Japanese restaurant that has great teriyaki and amazing service, even for takeout. Laura was very tired after her 12 hr shift so we did the takeout and snuggled in our family room. Both of us had spent time finding great cards (Laura grew up in an ugly card family). She has learned over the years how to pick out amazing cards (believe me I have enough weird quirks to make anyone feel normal . . . did you know I hate carnations?). The dessert we split was incredible and it was fun talking about our Sunday afternoon getaway. In light of this, today's Proverb had to be verse 17.

Proverbs 15:17: "A bowl of soup with someone you love is better than steak with someone you hate."

Several years ago when we first moved to Seattle, I had someone take me to a Seahawks game. The seats were on the 51 yd. line and three rows up ($$$). The guy I was with was a big time investor. I felt like I was giving a deposition for an insurance lawsuit. I so get this wisdom bite. About a year later this man became a politically divisive person in the church I was pastoring. Going to the game was fun, but wondering about the motives can drain your battery.

SO when you get the opportunity to enjoy even a bowl of wonton soup with a person you love, take the time to be thankful. I am so, so grateful that even after Laura and I had worked hard all day we had the time to enjoy things that added to memories and helped us fall asleep very thankful for love and God's smile.

We love BECAUSE He first loved us! (Two of my favorite verses in the NT).

Honorable Mention today: Verses 1 & 4 (tone, pitch, and volume do matter), verse 11 (God knows even motives I've not a clue about - that's actually great news; He still loves me. The word Sheol is often mistranslated in the NLT), verse 22 (works great for buying the right car, even better if used to grow your relationship with others real deep), and verse 30 (give away one today).

Did you look at verse 30?

No comments: